Michigan is the #2 state for apple production (behind Washington). I’m excited for apple season and cider mills!
Apples and Blueberries are Great for Our Health!
As the old saying goes, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. I’ve also heard that apples are like statins for our heart, without the side effects. However, when picking or buying apples, remember to make sure they are organic and haven’t been sprayed with many pesticides. Apples are always at the top of the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen list. Pesticides can cover apples and they seep into the center of the apple through the core.
In honor of apple season, I thought I’d share an apple recipe which also includes the nutritional powerhouse – blueberry! This bread doesn’t even taste like it’s gluten-free. See if your family will notice! I’ve made this recipe for family and friends. Everyone enjoys it! Hope you enjoy it as much. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free Apple Blueberry Bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sucanat
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1 cup organic apple sauce
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Beat together butter, succanut and eggs in a bowl.
- Stir in apple sauce, then dry ingredients until blended.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spread into loaf pan.
- Bake 55 minutes, or until the bread is done.
- Remove pan to wire rack. Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from the pan and cool completely.