Considering we spend about one-third of our life in bed, it’s so important to find a mattress that is non-toxic so we are not breathing in harmful chemicals every night.
However, finding the best non toxic mattress can be challenging. In addition to the comfort level, there are many things to consider when shopping for a mattress.
Read on to see what you should look for when shopping for a mattress. You will also find my recommendations for the best nontoxic mattresses below.
Quick Summary: The Best Non Toxic Mattresses
|Happsy||Organic Hybrid Mattress with latex, cotton and pocketed springs||Check Price|
|Naturepedic||Organic Mattresses, Crib Mattresses, Kids 2-in-1 mattresses and Pillowtop mattresses||Check Price|
|Plush Beds||Hybrid mattresses, Organic mattresses, Memory foam mattresses, RV mattresses, Sofa bed mattresses||Check Price|
|White Lotus||Crib mattress, hybrid mattress, Twin to Cal King size mattress, Futons||Check Price|
Are Mattresses Really Toxic?
Unfortunately, many mattresses are made with toxic materials that can emit harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Consider what a mattress can be made of:
- Vinyl plastics
- Synthetic latex
- Polyurethane foam
- Toxic fire retardants
- Anti-bacterial biocidal treatments
- Stain-resistant chemical treatments
Each of these items can pose its own health risk.
In addition to the chemicals in the mattress material, there are also chemicals, such as formaldehyde and benzene,.that can emit due to the byproducts of materials.
A mattress can off-gas these harmful chemicals for quite some time and body heat can increase the release of VOCs.
Please pin this image to share with others
What is the Healthiest Mattress on the Market?
If you look at the Consumer Reports rating, their top mattresses are going to differ from the ones in this article.
Consumer Reports rates mattresses on things such as firmness, support. and how well a mattress keeps its shape. Those are all good characteristics to consider, however, Consumer Reports doesn’t take into consideration one of the top things you should consider – how healthy is the mattress.
It’s one thing to sleep on a comfortable mattress, but it’s another thing to sleep on something that isn’t going to harm you.
You shouldn’t want a toxic mattress that off-gases harmful chemicals you can inhale while you sleep. Those toxic materials can cause a variety of health symptoms. Therefore, the health of a mattress should be one of the top criteria you assess.
Healthy mattresses are ones that are made with organic materials and without harmful adhesives, chemical flame retardants, and treatments.
In addition, there are third-party certifications you should consider when shopping for a healthy mattress.
Why are Mattress Certifications Needed?
Some mattress companies might claim that their mattress is “all-natural”, but honestly that doesn’t mean much without certifications to back it up.
When it comes to mattress certifications, it can be a little confusing. Some certifications are better than others in regards to the assurance they provide.
Independent, third-party mattress certifications are the most reliable. With third-party certifications, the certifying organization has no relationship with the manufacturer and tends to be transparent and fair.
When considering certifications, it is also important to note that certain materials of a mattress can be certified and the entire mattress can be certified. You want to look for the entire mattress to be certified.
You also want to look for certifications written to the actual mattress manufacturer instead of a blanket certification to the company that provides the mattress material.
Mattress Certifications to Look For
There are many mattress certifications. Two of the best ones to look for are GOTS and GOLS.
Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
GOTS certified mattresses must have at least 95 percent organic materials, and the remaining 5 percent or less of materials can’t contain specific harmful substances including formaldehyde and polyfoam.
Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)
GOLS certifies latex products, requiring that latex must be at least 95 percent organic.
Some other mattress certifications to consider are:
- GreenGuard: GreenGuard and GreenGuard Gold test mattresses for VOCs.
- USDA Organic: The USDA Organic certification indicates whether materials used in the production of the mattress were grown organically, such as the rubber tree sap used to make latex mattresses or the cotton used for a mattress cover.
- OEKO-TEX Standard 100: This certification ensures that mattresses don’t exceed emission limits for harmful chemicals including PBDEs, allergy-triggering dyes, formaldehyde, and VOCs.
- Eco-Institut: This certifies latex mattresses for hazardous emissions and chemical substances.
The Best Non Toxic Mattress to Buy
These recommended nontoxic mattresses are not only comfortable but also aren’t going to harm you with the materials that they are made of. All you have to do is choose the one you like best!
In addition to being non-toxic, most of the mattresses below have received numerous recommendations and awards. Some of the mattress companies are also involved in various advocacy projects which help make the earth a better place by supporting the environment.
Happsy provides affordable organic bed-in-a-box mattresses handcrafted in the USA.
Their mattresses have a hybrid design that combines latex and coils. Their custom pocket spring system provides optimal back support and postural alignment.
Their mattresses are also breathable. They use cooling latex with airflow channels, pocket coil system, and layers of moisture-wicking wool so heat can dissipate easily.
- Types of Mattresses: Twin to Cal King size mattresses without adhesives and flame retardants
- Materials Used: Organic cotton, organic wool, organic latex
- Certifications: GOLS, GOTS, Greenguard, MADE SAFE
- Additional Products Offered: Sheets, pillows, mattress pads and toppers, foundations
- Guarantee: 120-night free trial
- Shipping: Free shipping
- Returns: Provides a full refund (even covering shipping costs)
- Warranty: 20-year
- Price Range: $899+
Pros: It’s a fully certified, healthy mattress. They offer a great guarantee and return policy. Their website is easy to understand and makes it simple to shop for a mattress.
Cons: Mattress setup might be a little difficult for just 1 person. Also, with 1 mattress option, there isn’t much that can be customized.
Happsy Amazon Review
Naturepedic is an industry leader when it comes to certified organic mattresses and bedding. Based in Ohio, they provide mattresses for the entire family – from crib mattresses to king mattresses and everything in between. They allow you to design different comfort levels in your mattress (from super plush to super firm).
They also offer certified organic pillows, pads, sheets, and toppers.
Naturepedic uses non-toxic materials including organic cotton fabric, organic cotton fill, organic wool, organic latex, non-GMO sugarcane, etc. in their products. They do not use adhesives, chemical flame retardants, or polyurethane foam.
Naturepedic has received numerous product and environmental awards. They also support many organizations that are working to make the world healthier.
- Types of Mattresses: Crib, Kids 2-in-1, Twin – Cal King size, and Pillowtop
- Materials Used: Certified organic cotton, organic wool, alpaca, organic latex
- Certifications: GOLS, GOTS, Greenguard, Organic Exchange OCS100, MADE SAFE
- Additional Products Offered: Changing table pads, mattress pads, toppers, sheets, pillows, foundations
- Guarantee: Flexible comfort exchange program – you can swap any EOS layer within 90 days for FREE
- Shipping: Free ground shipping in the Continental U.S.
- Returns: 30-90 day money-back-guarantee depending on the product purchased.
- Warranty: 10+-year limited; however, each product varies
- Price Range: $699+
Pros: An industry pioneer that has been in business since 2003. They offer many different types of mattresses depending on your age and comfort level. They are fully certified and have won numerous awards for their products.
Con: Firm mattresses might be too firm in the beginning. It can take a while for the mattress to settle. Also, you have to pay the shipping costs on a return.
Naturepedic Amazon Review
PlushBeds is a leading online luxury mattress manufacturer & retailer with unbeatable prices.
They specialize in organic mattresses & bedding made in the USA.
PlushBeds latex mattresses are designed to help relieve pressure points associated with hip and shoulder pain while providing ergonomic support and alignment.
They source their raw materials from farmers who share their principles ensuring that all materials are harvested in an ethical, worker-friendly, sustainable manner.
- Types of Mattresses: Hybrid mattresses, Memory foam, Latex, RV mattresses, Sofa bed mattresses
- Materials Used: Organic cotton, organic wool, organic latex, memory foam
- Certifications: GOLS, GOTS, Greenguard, Certified Organic, eco-INSTITUT, Oeko-Tex Standard 100
- Additional Products Offered: Sheets, pillows, comforters, blankets, mattress toppers, foundations, bed bases
- Guarantee: Can try it for 100 nights, risk-free
- Shipping: Free shipping in the contiguous U.S.
- Returns: Free return within 100 nights
- Warranty: 25-year
- Price Range: $599+
Pros: Offers many different types of mattresses including sofas and RVs. Offers adjustable firmness layers. Offers easy financing option.
Con: The mattress is very heavy with all of its layers.
White Lotus Home
White Lotus Home is a natural and organic bedding company located in NJ. They are a GOTS certified facility.
White Lotus Home provides mattresses, and items such as toppers, pillows, sheets, and bedding.
White Lotus Home provides a safe and chemical-free option for those who want to live healthier lives without sleeping on products that contain harmful ingredients.
- Types of Mattresses: Crib mattress, hybrid mattress, Twin to Cal King size mattress, Futons
- Materials Used: Organic cotton, green cotton, wool, latex, organic buckwheat, kapok, eco-foam
- Certifications: GOTS (but not for the entire mattress)
- Additional Products Offered: Sheets, pillows, mattress toppers and protectors
- Guarantee: 120-night guarantee
- Shipping: Free shipping within the contiguous U.S.
- Returns: Can return within 120 nights with a 30% restocking fee
- Warranty: Life of the product based on materials and design
- Price Range: $668+
Pros: They offer many different types of mattresses depending on your comfort level and type of materials you are looking for. They also offer additional products, such as massage mat covers.
Cons: Their foam mattress has a mixture of natural and conventional materials.
White Lotus Home Amazon Review
|Happsy||Naturpedic||Plush Beds||White Lotus|
There you have it! These mattresses are comfortable, good for the environment, and are not made of toxic materials. You really can’t go wrong with any of them!
Be sure to invest in a non-toxic mattress the next time you’re in the market. Your body will thank you!
Read Next: 7 Benefits of Bamboo Mattresses and Toppers