Mold is something that I have learned more and more about over the past couple of years. Believe me it wasn’t by choice. It was out of necessity. Mold is such a difficult subject because many people have different opinions about it and different knowledge levels when it comes to it. I was one of them. I had always heard that mold exposure (especially “black” mold) could be harmful, but I didn’t give it much thought – that is, until my life was turned upside down by it. Fortunately, over the past couple of years, more information has been shared about mold. However, when I first became sick, I had no idea that it was the final straw when it came to my health.
Unfortunately, traditional doctors still don’t have a grasp on the damaging affect of mold. I would venture to guess that mold doesn’t even enter most doctors mind. However, I am one who believes that mold is a root cause for many different health related symptoms which people don’t even realize.
Fortunately, in the functional medicine arena, mold is typically one of the questions asked on a new patient intake form – have you spent time in a water damaged building? It could be your home, place of work, school, or any other place you spend a lot of time. Today, mold is abounding! So many buildings have problems. Indoor air quality is horrible. Many old buildings have mold damage, while new buildings are built so tightly that air doesn’t circulate well.
We also know that some people have a gene that makes them more susceptible to mold. That’s why two people can be in a moldy environment, but react differently. Whether you have the mold gene, or not, mold isn’t something to take lightly.
Thankful to Those Who Inform Us About Mold Exposure
I am so grateful to those who share information about mold! Dealing with not only the frustration of trying to get a proper diagnosis, all of the health related symptoms that go along with mold exposure, and the devastating reality that you have to move to a new home and part with your possessions in order to regain your health can be traumatic. Knowing that there are doctors who not only know how to help you, but have also lived through the devastating affects of mold in their own life is encouraging to those of us who have also suffered through it.
Dr. Amy Myers and Dr. Jill Carnahan are some of my heroes in the medical world! They totally get it because they unfortunately have lived through it. I’ve read and listened to many interviews from both of them as they shared their personal experiences and stories of their patients who have gone down the same road. When they share the stories, it’s like they’re sharing my story too. I can totally relate as my husband and I moved and have had to get rid of many things.
Dr. Amy Myers and Dr. Carnahan Discuss Mold Exposure and Options
Recently Dr. Myers and Dr. Carnahan came together to do a Facebook Live. The information they shared was powerful. If you are experiencing different health related symptoms, but not getting clear answers, you might want to look into mold exposure. Even if you don’t think you have mold in your house, it’s worth checking into since it could be hiding anywhere – in your attic, behind your walls, in your HVAC. (Then there are the nasty mycotoxins which linger once the mold is dead). It’s important to go to a doctor who understands mold, or CIRS. Mold can mimic other symptoms and tests can provide inconclusive results. I encourage you to visit both of the doctors websites for more helpful information and be sure to listen in to their Facebook Live interview below.
Read Next: The Ultimate Resource Guide for Overcoming Toxic Mold
Leave a Reply